Monday, December 19, 2011

The Hip Gnome is listening to...

It's that time of year again!!!  Time to discuss THG's BEST of 2011!!!  Yeah!!!


THG's Best New Bands of 2011
(TIE)

Foster the People 
This band really needs no introduction.  Once "Pumped Up Kicks" hit the radio, they were destined for commercial music and movie soundtrack greatness.  Their sometimes dark lyrics are hidden among upbeat, catchy, and pop-happy dance beats.  I used to compare them to MGMT or even Empire of the Sun, but they're different because they were able to make "electronic/dance" accessible to the masses.   Let's dance!
Key track: "Houdini" 
 

CULTS
It took me a little time to get into this band, but once I did, I've been hooked ever since.  They're a young (only 22 years old) couple who were once NYC film students and made music on the side.  Then they posted their 3 song EP to Bandcamp and have risen to critical acclaim as one of the indie breakthrough bands of the year.  Their sound is distinctly "old" sounding, i.e. 60s garage pop, with an addictive catchiness that's also kind of modern.  I love them and hope you do too.  
Key track: "You Know What I Mean"

No comments: